Pages

Friday 10 June 2011

Gingerbread men...

Well the truth is, I need to stock up my pantry again but I don't have time today and I need to bake. What do I make without eggs I wonder? Gingerbread men of course! A household favourite but I think i may turn to my new cookery book and little recipe leaflet to see what wonders they may bring. Yes, there is a small recipe for gingerbread men without the use of eggs in the kitch little baking leaflet. However, it isn't you average gingerbread recipe so I am a bit apprehensive but, I have most the ingredient (no vanilla extract) so I will give it a whirl!!

Gingerbread men           Makes 12 men      preheat oven to 170oC/350oF

  • 8oz Butter or marg (room temp or you'll get cramp in you arm like me)
  • 3oz of sifted icing sugar (yes it's a first on me)
  • 8oz Self raising flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • 1 teaspoon of ginger (all important!)
  • few drops of vanilla essence/extract (I added water instead)
  • 3oz porridge oats (This is interesting as well)
  • Thick glace icing (water and icing sugar)
  1. Beat fat then blend in icing sugar.

phew... that my workout done for the day!
2. Stir in the flour, sieved with salt, ginger and essence (water in my case). Add porridge oats and mix to make a stiff dough.
3. Mould dough into heads, bodies and arms for 12 gingerbread men. Join pieces together on greased baking sheets, allowing room for spreading during baking.
Hmm I not sure they quite look like men.
4. Bake for 15-20 mins. Cool on rack. Use glace icing to pipe in face features and buttons (oh dear this could go wrong).

Yep they resemble swollen jelly babies. (nice clean cooker in background fresh from the 70s) at least they are golden wish me luck withe transportation process onto the rack.





Oh dear not quite the look I was after but lets call them rustic gingerbread men. 


1 comment:

  1. I like these gingerbread guys' "hearty, healthy" look! I bet they tasted great.

    ReplyDelete